Skip to main content Skip to footer

The Healthcare Travel Costs scheme

You may be able to claim a refund under the 'Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme' of the cost of travelling to University Hospitals for NHS-funded treatment or a diagnostic test arranged by a doctor or dentist. To qualify for help with travel costs you must meet three conditions:

1. At the time of your appointment, you or your partner (including civil partners) must be receiving one of the qualifying benefits or allowances, or meet the eligibility criteria of the NHS Low Income Scheme.

2. Your journey must be made to receive NHS-funded non-primary medical or non-primary dental care services, to which you have been referred to by a GP, dentist or hospital consultant.

3. For referrals made by a primary practitioner such a GP or dentist, the service must be provided on a different day and in premises other than those occupied by the practitioner who made the referral.

You can claim travel costs for your children if 2 or 3 above applies to them and you are in group 1 above at the time of the appointment. Any young person aged 16 or over may make their own claim - there is more information on the NHS website

You can claim travel costs for an escort, if your doctor, dentist or consultant says that for medical reasons you need someone to travel with you.

You cannot claim help with travel costs, if you are visiting someone in hospital. However, visitors in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits may be able to receive assistance in the form of a Discretionary Care Grant. Furt​her information about this assistance can be obtained from your local council.

Please click here for more information (external link to NHS choices).​

NHS Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme (external .gov website)​